In 1889, Lafe Strang moved to Mount Vernon from Fredericktown. A year later in 1890, he opened L.F. Strang, which began as a buggy manufacturer. The shop was located on the North Side of Vine Street and was a former fire station. In 1919, the business moved to 104 W. Gambier St. when his son Faye joined the company. The name was then changed to L.F. Strang & Son Buggy Shop. After his father died, Faye became the owner of the Faye L. Strang Glass & Body Shop, which he operated for more than 40 years. When he retired in 1969, he sold the business to his nephew, William "Bill" S. Ulery.
In 1973, Bill built the new glass shop building at 202 W. Vine St., the shop's present location. Bill's son Jeff often worked with his father while growing up. In 1995, Bill sold the business to Jeff.
Strang Glass has remained family-owned and for the last 132 years has been a large part of the community.